Setup & Commission qDevices
Table of contents
- Overview: Option A and Option B
- Installation and Commissioning Steps
- Pre-start Checklist
- Install and wire up qDevices
- Configure your handheld 4G Modem and iOS device for commissioning
- Option A: Pre-planned configuration - Test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network
- Option B: On-site setup - configuration - Setup, test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network
Overview: Option A and Option B
The installation and commissioning of qDevices includes the electrical wiring-in, configuration and testing, and the connecting of the qDevices to the local Wi-Fi network.
The configuration and commissioning of the qDevices can be achieved in two ways:
- Option A: Remote pre-planned whole site configuration based on electrical wiring diagrams with the qHome Designer planning application, final commissioning using qCommission iOS app on site.
- Option B: On-site configuration and commissioning of individual qDevices using the qCommission iOS app.
Testing and connecting of qDevices to the Wi-Fi network is performed with the qCommission iOS app.
Installation and Commissioning Steps
- Install and wire up qDevices as per electrical plan
- Setup, test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network
Note: This guide covers the setup and connecting of the qDevices to the local Wi-Fi network, electrical installation of the qDevices is covered in the installation guides.
Ensure the following is met before setting up qDevices.
- You have a personal Quantify Cloud user account and have been granted access to the installation’s Digital Blueprint that contains the location’s address and pre-configured settings for the qDevices.
- The installation location has an internet enabled Wi-Fi network.
- You have access to the network name and password, or the credentials have been pre-entered in the qHome Designer.
- You have a portable internet enabled 4G Modem Router for commissioning. View list of tested 4G routers for commissioning.
- The qCommission app is installed on your iPhone or iPad.
- The installation location has power.
NOTE: If there is no pre-existing internet connection, qDevices can still be commissioned with a portable 4G modem router. View list of tested 4G routers for commissioning.
Install and wire up qDevices
Tools required: Hand tools such as isolated screw drivers and electrical pliers.
IMPORTANT: Australian law requires qDevices to be installed by a certified electrician.
Before commencing the installation and wiring-in of qDevices please consult the installation guides to ensure load compatibility and correct installation.
NOTE: Testing the loads and fine-tuning settings such as LED dimming tables and minimal and maximal light levels requires the qCommission iOS app and the Feature Cards to be installed into the qDevices.
Wired-in qDevices that aren’t part of a network or haven’t got a Feature Card installed can only control accessories or appliances that are directly connected to the devices.
- Install and wire-in qDevice using standard cabling and tools, as per electrical plans
- Insert a Wi-Fi Feature Card and Power up the qDevice
- Commissioning setup, see next chapter “Configure your handheld 4G Modem and iOS device for commissioning”
- Test loads, making sure wiring conforms to the electrical plan, and connect qDevices to the local Wi-Fi network Option A or Option B
IMPORTANT: If the wiring up of loads differs from the electrical plan (load tables), correct the wiring or ensure that new wiring is reflected in the digital blueprint (pre-set in qHome Designer) or adjusted on-site with the qCommission app. Failure to to do so will result in a non-functioning installation that can’t be signed off.
Configure your handheld 4G Modem and iOS device for commissioning
Tools required: Handheld 4G Modem Router with a working internet data plan, and an Apple iPhone or iPad with the qCommission app installed.
Step 1. Configure the Wi-Fi of your hand held 4G Modem Router to use SSID/NETWORK NAME: 12345678 and the Password: 87654321
New qDevice Feature Cards that haven’t been setup with Wi-Fi credentials will automatically connect to a nearby access point that is configured with an SSID and password in reverse. Once a connection between the qDevice and the access point has been established, the qDevice can be setup with the local Wi-Fi credentials using the qCommission app.
Step 2. Configure your iPhone or iPad to connect to the Wi-Fi of your hand held 4G Modem Router to use SSID/NETWORK NAME: 12345678 and the Password: 87654321
Navigate to SETTINGS then Wi-Fi and select OTHER. Enter the Network Name and tap SECURITY select WPA2/WPA3 and tap the back arrow. Enter the Password and tap JOIN. Your device is now connected to the Wi-Fi of your hand held 4G Modem Router, ready to setup and commission any qDevices on the same temporary network.
Next step: Commission the qDevices, see next chapter “Setup, test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network”.
Option A: Pre-planned configuration - Test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network
Tools required: Apple iPhone or iPad with the qCommission app, connected to the internet enabled handheld 4G Modem Router as described in the previous step “Configure your handheld 4G Modem Router for commissioning”
Step 1. Start the qCommission app and login to your Quantify Cloud account. The Job Sheet view will load all Projects you have been assigned with. Tap the relevant Project name to view the Installation Locations. Tap the current Installation Location to load the Digital Blueprint that contains the location’s address and pre-configured settings for the qDevices.
Step 2. Select an existing local Wi-Fi network added previously in the qHome Designer or add a new Wi-Fi network for this installation location. The selected network displayed by the green tick will be written to the qDevice as part of the commissioning process.
Step 3. Tap the “Commission” icon in the bottom menu. Tap the current room name to view available pre-configured qDevices from the digital blueprint represented by a blue dashed qDevice card. Tap the card that represents the newly installed and powered up qDevice you want to setup and commission, to commence the step by step walkthrough.
Note: Commissioned qDevices move from the Commission to the Manage tab in the qCommission app. If the local network is setup, the qDevice will connect to the cloud and become fully operational.
If the local network is not available, the qDevices will only control the loads connected to the respective qDevice, via the buttons on the Touch Panel.
Option B: On-site setup - configuration - Setup, test and connect qDevices to the Wi-Fi network
Complete Step 1 to Step 3 from the previous chapter Option A Pre-planned configuration